Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fundación Enseñando a Aprender


 

FUNEAP Members of the Board
 The FUNEAP (Fundación Enseñando a Aprender – Teaching to Learn Foundation) is sponsoring my work in Ecuador this year. FUNEAP is a non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the accessibility and quality of inclusive education for children with learning difficulties. Since its establishment in 2005, FUNEAP has provided a series of summer workshops on special education topics. My colleague, Cindy Hales, and I provided a 3-day workshop for the foundation in July 2010.

Cindy Hales and Me at our 2010 Workshop

Mike and I arrived in Ecuador on January 16, 2011 and will be here until December 15. My goal is to provide teachers, related service personnel, and school administrators with information and strategies that will enable them to better educate children with learning problems in inclusive settings. I am teaching a course to about 85 teachers/administrators who are enrolled in two groups – private school teachers, and public school teachers. The course covers broad topics: overview of disabilities (I will discuss the issue with terminology later!), Universal Design for Learning, Curriculum-Based Measurement, classroom/behavior management, effective instructional practices, collaboration and student support teams, and strategies for teaching reading, writing, and math.
Participants at the 2010 Workshop
I know some Spanish, but not enough to present educational content. FUNEAP provides translator who does simultaneous translation. I present in English and participants who need the translation wear headsets. I am weighted down with equipment because I have to wear both a transmitter for the microphone and receiver for the headsets. All of my written documents and PowerPoint presentations are translated into Spanish and copies are provided to the participants.
I’m also working at Colegio Americano de Guayaquil. I’ll share more on that another day.

FUNEAP Website: http://funeap.intermagen.net/index.php


No comments:

Post a Comment